Important Notice!

On September 1, 2015, our new address will be 4528 – 99 Street, Edmonton, Alberta T6E 5H5. You may also contact us at 780-452-6800.

There is more than one way to support a Dependant Adult

Home // Wills and Estates Law // Dependant Adult

Under The Adult Guardianship and Trusteeship Act (AGTA), varying levels of support (see below) can be provided for a "Dependant Adult”, defined as a person over the age of 18 years who is unable to make personal or financial decisions for themselves as a result of an accident, illness or old age. What choice is best depends on the capacity of the Dependant Adult. "Some individuals need a little support, some need full support,” Wills & Estates Lawyer Andrew Geisterfer says.

Adult Guardianship and Trusteeship Act for dependent adult support, including applying for guardianship.

Learn about the varying levels of support that can be arranged for a Dependent Adult, defined as a person over the age of 18 who needs help to make specified decisions.

Supported Decision Making - This option is best for adults who need help to make some, but not necessarily all, decisions. For example, the person providing the support, known formally as the "supporter” may be involved in healthcare decisions only. The agreement is between the Dependent Adult and the supporter. It is arranged through the signing of a form that is available from The Office of the Public Guardianship. There is no need to make a formal court application.

Co-Decision-Making – Some adults have limited decision making capability, but can function if they get the right kind of support. The person receiving the support must approve this arrangement and the person who will serve as the co-decision-maker. To become a co-decision-maker, you must complete an application, available through Office of the Public Guardian, that includes the findings of a healthcare professional hired to determine the decision-making ability of the person needing support. The person getting the support must agree with everything in the information package. A representative of the Office of the Public Guardian interviews the person getting support and notifies family members that someone has made an application to become a co-decision-maker.

Guardianship - If a person lacks the capability to make personal decisions, the Court will appoint a Guardian. The authority of the Guardian is limited to things the adult cannot handle. For example, the Guardian may handle all financial and legal matters, but not social activities. To apply to become a Guardian, you must obtain and complete the Guardianship Self Help Kit, available through the Office of the Public Guardian. A representative of the Office of the Public Guardian interviews the person getting support and notifies family members that someone has made an application to set up a Guardianship.

Legal Scenario

First time home purchaser

"I have never bought a home before and am unsure about how to get started and what I will have to pay."

What Would Andrew Recommend?

Don’t hold back because you are afraid that you will be charged just to talk with the lawyer. Most lawyers, including me, will not charge you anything to talk over the phone or have an introductory meeting. If you call me (and I hope you do), I will give you a quick list of do’s and don’ts, based on the type of property you hope to buy. Just those few tips could end up saving you time and money. Many first time buyers think they can limit legal fees by bringing in a lawyer after the deal is done. That is a bad idea because no buyer, and especially no first-time buyer, should sign anything until it has been reviewed by a lawyer. Failing to take that step could mean that you have unknowningly accepted rights and duties that cost you much more than the lawyer’s fee.

Meet Andrew Geisterfer Edmonton Real Estate Lawyer

Andrew Geisterfer

Site Design and Development By: Edmonton Website Design - Selaris Web Media

Web Content By: Words at Work Advertising and Marketing